10 mins read:
The Maharashtrian hospitality is legendary. The cuisine has subtle variety and strong flavours and varies from region to region. In ancient times in the more affluent homes, feasts often started at mid-day and ended when the sun set!
Maharashtrian famous dish today’s recipe: Aloo Bonda is a very popular & famous breakfast dish in Vidarbha.
The mossy Spicy and Tempting dish of Nagpur city. This is showing how the real Vidarbhian people make Aloo Bonda with the secret ingredients and techniques. A popular snack which is also known as Mumbai Batata Vada.
Batata Vada / Potato Dumpling / Aloo Bonda are a popular spicy Indian fast food snack. This crunchy and soft vada is very easy and quick to make during parties. You can easily make Vada Pav if your batata vada is ready!
Basically it is a potato fritters which is apparently a famous vegetarian fast food snack in Maharashtra cuisine or street food. It is typically served with Spicy Chickpeas Curry or can be served as it is with tomato ketchup.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Serve: 7-8 Bondas
For Potato Mixture:
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- Pinch of Asafoetida
- 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic (Crushed)
- 1 Green Chilli (Chopped)
- 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds (Crushed)
- 1 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Black Spicy Masala
- 2 Boiled Potatoes (Crushed)
- Salt to taste
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (Chopped)
- 2 cup Gram Flour (Besan)
- Salt to taste
- Pinch of Baking Soda
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Water as required.
- Potato Mixture
- Oil for frying
Method of Preparation:
1. How to make Potato Mixture:
- Heat oil in a pan, add Mustard seeds, Cumin seeds, Asafoetida, Curry leaves, Ginger-Garlic and Green Chilli.
- Saute them nicely.
- Add Onion; saute well until golden brown.
- Now add Coriander seeds, Fennel seeds, Red Chilli Powder, Turmeric and Black Spicy Masala (Kala Masala).
- Mix it & saute well (add little water if required).
- Add Boiled Potatoes, salt to taste and Coriander Leaves.
- Give everything nice mix.
- Our Potato mixture is ready.
- Keep aside to cool down.
2. How to make Batter:
- In a bowl add Gram Flour, Salt, Pinch of Baking Soda and Lemon Juice.
- Mix everything up well.
- Now add Water in batches and prepare a thick flowing consistency batter.
- Our Batter is ready.
3. How to make Bonda:
- Make balls (bondas) of the potato mixture (grease palms with oil to prevent from sticking).
- Heat Oil for deep fry.
- Dip the Bonda into the batter and coat well on all sides
- Fry it in oil on medium flame.
- Pour some hot oil on them and flip them over.
- Once they are nice and golden brown take them out.
- Our Aloo Bonda is ready to eat.
4. Serving style of Aloo Bonda in Vidarbha Region:
- Serve this Crispy Aloo Bonda with Spicy Chickpeas Curry.
- You can also serve this Aloo Bonda with Tamarind Chutney or Tomato Sauce.
To watch this recipe click on below link :
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!!
Don’t forget to like and share.